Hunter Begins First Grade:
Hunter was "a little bit excited and a little bit nervous" to start first grade.
I woke him up bright and early, by whispering, "Hey bud let's get up and get ready, k?"
He popped right up, took a deep, wake-me-up breath, and said "Okay, I'm ready to start school now."
We walked into his school and had to walk past the kindergarten area to get to the first grade hall. "There's my old classroom, but I won't be going back there anymore," he stated sounding much too old and wise
He stayed pretty close to me as we walked down the hall searching for his classroom.
(I probably should have checked it out beforehand, but I'm still playing the "newborn baby card" for oversights such as that).
But as soon as we met his teacher he pretty much ran into his classroom, leaving me in the dust.
I was able to follow him in and get a few pictures- which I am mighty proud of considering the fact that both hands were full; the first was fighting to hold on to an excited little brother named Kyler-boy (who thought he needed to explore the classroom and have a desk of his own as well), and the second lugging a heavy fifteen-pounder (why I didn't bring a stroller is beyond me- see "newborn-baby-card" above) who didn't complain when mom had to finagle him into some crazy postitions between her legs and torso in order to get things done. :)
When it was time to leave, mom was having a way harder time than Hunter.
As you can tell by the look on his face ("C'mon and get out of here already!"), he was getting sick of me blubbering over him. Thank goodness, he's considerate and kind-natured and just kept nicely saying things like, "Bye mom, I'll be fine! Have a great day, I'll see ya later!"
Hunter is adjusting well, even though the last two mornings when I told him him it was time to get ready for school, he said "Again?! But I just need to play more!"
I may be having a harder time adjusting...
We've missed Hunter tremendously this week!
The first couple of days we walked him to the door and lingered much too long.
Each day, Kyler gets to a point after lunch where he'll start asking "When is Hunter gonna be done?"
I went to eat lunch with Hunter on Thursday, not only because I wanted to see how everything works, but because I really needed a "Hunter fix!" His teacher just smiled knowingly at me and mentioned that she felt the same way with her own children. Our lunch date helped so much, I think it may turn into a weekly occurence ;)
3 comments:
I hear first grade is the hardest adjustment for mom, and everyone else they leave behind at home... glad you are all adjusting!!
That is so sweet that you are such a loving mom. I thought I would really miss Spencer. And I do worry about him all day and wonder how he's doing but when 3:30 rolls around... I am surprised that the day has passed so quickly and Spencer is "already" coming home:). How sad is that...
That is SO cute! Sarah what a good mom you are.
Post a Comment