Just as life is like a rollercoaster with it's ups and downs, so it is with my journaling efforts. Gotta be authentic, right?

Where did THE LAST 3 YEARS go? Playing catch up is too overwhelming so I'll just try to keep going as if I never stopped.

Our Adventure Continues @ nomorepinkvoid.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Potty Training: A Lifelong Process...

Attention Readers: Please read ONLY if you have PT'd (potty trained) a child at some point in your lifetime. Also, if you tend to get offended easily, this post is most likely not for you...

Hunter: "MOMMY! What are you doing?"
Me: "I'm washing my hands."
Him: "Did you get poop in your underwear?"
Me: "Nope."
Him: "Good job. Did your pee get in the toilet?"
Me: "Yes."
Him: "Oh I'm so proud of you for not going potty in your pants! Now you can have a sticker!"
Apparently we all need positive reinforcement on the matter.

Before I had the wonderful experience of PT-ing, here are a few incredibly stupid thoughts I had on the subject:
1) If the parent really knew what they're doing, it wouldn't be that big a deal.
2) The PT process should only last a week, and my kid is so smart, he'll have it down solid (no pun intended) in a couple of days...
3) Once a child is out of diapers, they are considered "officially trained."

Why I know better now:
1) All kids are different. As with all parenting, there is no "manual" or "how-to book" that will work perfectly for your kid. The only skill you really need to be good at PT-ing, is a keen sense of smell, and the ability to "feel" around on the carpet when there has been an accident...
2) PT can last for years (or atleast, it can seem like years). Especially if you need to learn a lot of patience.
3) Once a child is out of diapers, the poop just seems to spread easier. Another side note: Watch out to all boy moms out there! Little boys are way too excited to practise "aiming" at the garbage can, the wall, and yes, even the sink! NASTY!

11 comments:

Camie said...

I suppose I should be grateful that I've never had to experience this yet. FYI: I had an aunt who had a bullseye that was in the bottom of the toilet. It was made out of that vinyl lettering matreial. Anyway-she said it gave her boys something to aim at, other than the sink.

Holly said...

I am NOT looking forward to having this experience with my Son!!! Unfortunetly it's going to come sooner than later, he's not so much a baby anymore!

Breeana said...

That is hilarious. Potty training I think is one of the hardest things about raising children. I would pay big bucks to hire an in home trainer.

Trevor, Brianna, Alivia, Tayvree, and Avynlee Hansen said...

oh my gosh!! you are pretty funny sarah!! I miss your way of describing things!! Potty training!! Gotta love it! LOL! It's funny to hear your kid say the things to you that you say to them. Alivia for instance says, "are you pooping mom? just push really hard ok? let me know if you need anything!" hmmmm well kids are funny that way cuz you hear yourself through their words! (mixed with their own versions of things). take care you!!!

Marcus and Janene said...

I am glad I am not the only one who is going through the trials of potty training.

Brianna said...

Sarah I couldn't agree with you more!

Irene said...

Here, Here!!!!

Beth Monson said...

You are so funny! My biggest challenge lately is getting Preston to "point down" while sitting on the potty to poop. He shoots pee right in between the seat and the bowl and pee goes all over the toilet, floor, wall, and Preston's underwear and pants. That's fun to clean up!

The Beckstrom's said...

Oh this made me laugh so hard. Thanks!! I am so glad Im done with all that...for now atleast.

Raelyn said...

Thanks for the heads up! Addy was pretty easy, but I'm not really looking forward to McKay. Maybe having an older sibling will make it easier! (Or maybe that's just wishful thinking:)

The Hatch Batch said...

Thanks for the post! I read it aloud to Ryan and we got a good laugh at it...we are also potty training Mayli right now. She is doing really well except for the occasional "hide and go poop" times. I can totally relate to pretty much all of what you said. Except, the peeing on the walls, garbage, etc. Boy, I'm glad girls can't do that:)