One year ago...
Our home was filled with the sweet sounds of an infant and young toddler- lots of crying.
October 24 marked the anniversary of Hunter's treadmill accident.
Yup, kids can receive third degree friction burns from the treadmill... Hunter's fingers were burned down to the bone.
October 30 marks the anniversary of his skin graft surgery.
It was a sad day, because no parent ever wants to see their child in hospital garb. It was a scary day, because we didn't know how it would go, or how he would react when he woke up... It was a good day, because it meant we were getting it fixed. No more scrubbing my two-year-old's burning flesh while he begged "please don't hurt me, mommy."
It was a day to be grateful for all those blessings we often take for granted, such as parents living close & being willing to help, medical insurance & especially modern medicine.
It was also a day to be grateful for those blessings we sometimes aren't aware of, like the angels who entertained my 9-week old baby for hours and hours on end. Seriously, Kye would have to sit in his car seat day after day, for hours in a row, while we traveled to the U for burn therapy.
I'm so grateful that not-so-lovely experience is behind us! Now that all is officially said and done, I'm happy to say I learned a lot from it.

All the docs at the burn unit have mentioned what an amazing, fast, MIRACULOUS recovery Hunter has had- The Priesthood Power is real- I KNOW it's because of the many blessings he had! I also know we have a loving Father in Heaven who is aware of everything we're going through- & we have a Savior who has already taken our burdens, if we just ask...
So, although I would never wish a burned child on anyone, I am grateful for the strengthening of my faith that came from it... I'm also thankful it wasn't much worse- He's happy, healthy, and has full use of his fingers! Hooray!
October 24 marked the anniversary of Hunter's treadmill accident.
October 30 marks the anniversary of his skin graft surgery.
It was a day to be grateful for all those blessings we often take for granted, such as parents living close & being willing to help, medical insurance & especially modern medicine.
I'm so grateful that not-so-lovely experience is behind us! Now that all is officially said and done, I'm happy to say I learned a lot from it.
All the docs at the burn unit have mentioned what an amazing, fast, MIRACULOUS recovery Hunter has had- The Priesthood Power is real- I KNOW it's because of the many blessings he had! I also know we have a loving Father in Heaven who is aware of everything we're going through- & we have a Savior who has already taken our burdens, if we just ask...
So, although I would never wish a burned child on anyone, I am grateful for the strengthening of my faith that came from it... I'm also thankful it wasn't much worse- He's happy, healthy, and has full use of his fingers! Hooray!
10 comments:
I had no idea that happened and I am so sorry to read about it. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. Owen had surgery in August and I understand how scary it is. I agree with you, I believe that these trials make us more grateful for the many blessings we have.
Beautiful post Sarah. We love Hunter, and we are so glad he has done so well.
Tonight the young women from our ward had their activity at the Haycock's barn and I instantly remembered you getting the news about Hunter and leaving in a panic. I'm glad everything turned out all right and that you still have your spunky little boy. I hate ot say it, but he looks kinda cute in his hospital garb.
It's hard to see at the time of hardship how much we are learning and growing, but it's nice to be able to look back at it with faith and realize how much the Lord watches over and protects us even when we have to be tested and tried. Great post thanks for the reminder.
So glad that Hunter has completely healed from that--we had no idea that had happened. Traumatizing! Thanks for sharing this and doing so in a way that helps everyone who reads it to be grateful for our blessings.
I can't believe how hard that would be. Seeing your kids in pain is so hard. I am glad it is all behind you. The power of the priesthood is so amazing. I am grateful for it as well.
Sarah, you are amazing. After all you went through and you are so positive. He is a great little boy!! And you and Brett are very blessed and its not hard to see why.
Sarah,
I had no idea either about that happening to Hunter! I'm glad that tings are better now! You sure have cute little boys!
wow, that's so crazy cuz october marked a year from when alivia got her body cast off!! Something i would never wish on even my enemies (if i had any ;) ) Anyway, I learned a lot from that too! It's amazing what we are actually able to go through as parents....it is SO hard seeing our kids suffer. And no one really knows the details of the suffering unless they've been through it before. Bless your heart for all you went through with that burn incident...I'm so glad Hunter can fully use his hand and fingers!!! A true miracle!! You rock homey g!! love ya!
I'm glad you guys made it through that. It's a good thing kids are so tough.
Post a Comment